[G4] Sawtooth, upgrades vs. new, a bigger picture

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg at mac.com
Tue Mar 8 20:30:34 PST 2005

On Mar 8, 2005, at 4:39 PM, Robert Hazelrigg wrote:

> Well I ran X on my Sawtooth 350mhz with 256RAM. It was VERY slow but
> would have been just as fast as my 400 with the same upgrades. So X
> will run on a 350. Also you could get an cheaper processor upgrade
> Sonnet makes a 1ghz for $200. Moreover if you time it right to can
> pick  up a Epson C86 printer for free after rates at staples or
> compUSA just look in your newspaper.

I am not sure what VERY slow means. I have a 350 Sawtooth as well with
512 RAM and it is pretty darn snappy for most things. I think 256 is
not enough. Then again, I am not burning DVDs or doing really intense
processor heavy stuff. I really do wonder though, why the original
poster is unable to install. Yeah it could be the RAM finicky thing, I
think the jury is still out on that. But what sort of install CD's are
being used, is it one of those machine specific installations? Or is is
a full copy meant for any computer. I have heard mixed reports from
people who try to install from discs that are bundled with other
machines. This may have been brought up already but I missed it.
Greg