[G4] Keyboard or typist?

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 18 14:26:50 PST 2005

For a coupla years now I've noticed that either me or the keyboard has
a tendency to CApitalize both the first and second letters of a word.
This usually occurs when I'm typing fast and hit the shift key. WHen I
proof (ie look away from my fingers) is when I notice the double
capitalization. I have never fully understood why this happens. But
since I don't have to make a living at my keyboard I can deal with it
by going back and changing the case.  I don't *think* it's me, but it
could be!  My fingers do not hover over the keys nor do I seem to be
holding the shift key down longer than I "should".

Now just in the last week or so corresponding with the upgrade to OS
X.3.8, and the simultaneous installation of the MS Office for OS X, all
of a sudden I'm having trouble with the insertion of 1 tp 3 extra
spaces whenever I hit the space bar.  Again this happens when I'm not
looking and it doesn't happen all the time. But recently it's occurring
once or twice in each line of text. It happens both in MS Word as well
as in Mail app.

I'm loathe to believe that this really could be caused by the software
change. Maybe it's the typist that's failing more than before.... but I
don't think so.

  I beginning to wonder if this is the typical behavior of a keyboard
that's beginning to fail. Unfortunately I don't have a spare to swap
with.

Keyboard is an early MacSense USB. When my Sawtooth came out this
keyboard was the only alternative to the Apple standard issue.  It's
been fairly reliable for the last five years.

Is this what a failing keyboard might look like?

Thanks,
John

Sawtooth 400 AGP, 704 MB  OS 10.3.8