[G4] Fast Internet via Outlet

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Mon Mar 28 12:12:59 PST 2005

Hello Anne:

By "can't route their modem...," are you talking about the data line
(ethernet) or the electrical power for the modem, or both?

I have a conventional cable modem that is on a surge protector for its
power and the cable itself goes through the same surge protector.  An
ethernet line then goes from the cable modem to a router.  For computer
connections in the same room, ethernet cables go direct from the router
to the computer(s).  But for the long ethernet line to the other end of
the house and a different floor, I go through the data ports on my UPS
that happens to be close by.  At the other end, that ethernet line goes
through another UPS.

Closer to your real concern, I once had an electrical failure which hit
the entire neighborhood.  This was before setting up my LAN.  The
computer was not running, the UPS was awake, but it died with that
little explosive poof and bad odor that comes from equipment meeting
death.  No problem ever with the computer.  So the UPS sacrificed
itself on duty.  The power company reimbursed me for the new UPS.

I would expect your power company to say that will pay you for any loss
of equipment.  Does it say that?

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.