[G4] AIFF, MP3, Quality Issue

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Sun May 15 00:05:06 PDT 2005

Each time you convert the file it is a generational copy.  If you use
the new file to create the next conversion copy the result will be less
than the original AIFF.

I keep all the AIFF files on an external drive and convert to AAC (MP3
if you want) for use on my computer.  I have found that as my music
library grows it is better to have about 1000 songs per grouping (in
AIFF), as that fits on any of the computers and can be converted to
AAC.  If I put all the AIFF files on my computer at once I have no
space left on the HD and can no longer do much of anything.  I do keep
the AAC copies on the external as well as they are small, transfer
quickly and sound great.

If I want to burn a CD I turn on the external and in itunes prefs I
change the file to the look at the external and delete all the itune
files on my computer.  itunes will rewrite its list to reflect the new
content (all AIFF on the external) only after the files on the computer
are trashed and deleted.  I still have all the original info on the
external in both AIFF and AAC, so there is no loss - but this is a pain
in the backside that itunes does not update as soon as the prefs are
changed - I must  ' force '  it every time.

Anyways, this lets me keep the original AIFF and the first copy in AAC
to avoid any compromise of quality.  And lets face it, if this is your
music collection, do you want scratched records or perfect ones?
Collecting a few songs is easy but a few thousand is alot of work; I
back it up on at least 2 hard drives.

I use my personal computer as the collection point and everything I had
previously is in AAC here.  All new songs are in AIFF exclusively.  The
External has all the AIFF files in batches of 1000 and the AAC files in
the same batches (so I do not need to convert again - too long).  The
work computer has a second HD to back up, well, work - and the music
(AIFF only).  The primary HD on this work computer has the AAC copies
to listen to.

As I import new songs to my personal computer it fills up and once it
has close to 1000 new songs in AIFF format I can delete all the AAC and
copy the itunes folder to the external and work computer in AIFF and
then convert them to AAC to delete the AIFF and copy those AAC to the
external.  Then import all the AAC files into itunes to access
everything again.

There is probably other ways to do this, but this is simple in
practice, if not in explanation.  And everything is duplicated as
original.  The only reason I keep the AAC files on the external is
because of the time it takes to convert a 1000 songs or even copy from
one HD to another.

But as I started out saying, changing  itunes pref to point at a new
folder is very easy and much faster than copying, so for the burning
application this is a good solution.

jj

On 14-May-05, at 9:57 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com