[G4] Dual Layer DVD Unit

Anthony Kluck weho90069 at earthlink.net
Sat May 28 18:56:45 PDT 2005

Just diving in here to ask a couple questions:

A DVD burner for only $52 sounds almost too good to be true; I'm used
to perusing mailers and seeing them listed for nearly a couple hundred
bucks (although, these are usually external burners with Firewire
options; the cheapest model I've seen for in the tower itself was
$129).

I went to the site referred to below and looked at the item. Before I
go further, let me just say that I am not well versed with the inner
workings of my Mac (but I am willing to learn!), so please bear with
me, here as I am bound to ask some foolish or at least obvious
questions...

First, I presume I would be changing-out my existing DVD-ROM in my G4
tower with this component, yes? What do you recommend I do with the old
DVD-ROM? Is there a website which would enable me to "recycle" it by
selling it to someone who needs one, even for a few bux? Or should I
hang on to it "just in case" I need to reinstall it at a later date (if
the DVD burner goes kaput)?

Second, would any additional hardware be needed to complete the change
out of drives or would I just need to buy the burner itself?

Third, is this something I could do myself with some basic tools? I.e.,
Are installation instructions provided with such components usually
sufficient to enable laypeople in accomplishing the removal of an older
drive and installing a new one? I did install a new hard drive in my
Mac once, but had to be coached in doing so over the phone, and admit I
probably came off a bit like Karen Black in AIRPORT '75 during the
experience. It certainly demystified the sacred box Apple led users
like me to believe, for years, opening was a big "no no"...however I am
hardly what you would call "familiar" with the inner workings of my
Mac.

But, like I said, I *am* willing to learn...

Thanks very much for the advice.

Anthony
Power Mac G4 (AGP)
CPU Type: PowerPC G4  (2.9)