[G4] Liteon's New Dual Layer 16x DVD +/- R and +/- RW Drive

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 19 04:25:08 PST 2005

At 05:46 -0800 2005/11/18, I wrote:
> >----------------------------------------------------
>>$39.99 plus $1.99 shipping.
>>Liteon's new versatile high-performance dual layer internal drive.
>>Dual Layer 16x DVD +/- R and +/- RW Drive
>>----------------------------------------------------
>
>Underneath the list of shipping charges for various methods of shipping, there's the sentence:
>
>"Handling fees of $5.95 will be applied."
>
>So, they're really charging $48 with the cheapest shipping, not $42!
>
>Maybe it's still a good deal, but I don't think I want to do business with a company that's that sneaky!
>
> - Aaron

At 01:54 -0800 2005/11/19, Ronald Steinke responded with the following, to which I have added further comments:

>What's your reasoning here for not doing business with a company that was honest enough to tell the full cost of shipping and handling? Their advertisement told the exact truth; the cost of the item, the amount of shipping charge, and the separate fee for handling which includes getting the item from the shelf, packing it in a container, sealing it, etc.

Their advertisement told no such thing! It wasn't till I clicked on the button to put the item in my "Shopping Cart" that I could have seen an inconspicuous notice about "Handling Fees". Before that, one is clearly left with the impression that one will be charged $39.99 plus $1.99 for shipping.

>The cost of shipping is always considered to be a separate issue from the handling expenses.

I have purchased many items online from many vendors, and I have also sold online. Sometimes there is a "shipping" charge and sometimes there is a "shipping and handling" charge.   I have NEVER seen any vendor advertise a low shipping charge and then later tell the customer about an additional handling charge.

>The shipping fee is what is paid to the company actually doing the transportation of the item. This may be the US Post Office, FedEx, UPS, or any other shipment purveyor.

I doubt that this company is paying exactly the advertised $1.99 for shipping on all orders over $25, since such orders can range from a few ounces to tens of pounds! And companies like Amazon that offer free shipping on orders over a certain price don't receive free service from the US Post Office, FedEx, UPS, or any other shipment purveyor.

>You might notice this at an automobile dealership, too. It's called a "Transportation Fee" which is separate from the "Dealer Setup Fee".
>
>Many times, the handling fees are not stated as separate costs, and THAT should be considered as the sneaky part of an advertisement. When the handling fee isn't stated, almost any fee can be charged and the customer never gets the true cost of shipping. On eBay, many sellers make an extra profit by stating a total fee for their shipping cost instead of breaking it down to the true cost of packing materials, cost of postage, and cost of labor. It may only be a few cents or it might be a dollar or more for each item, but it all adds up in the end and the customer is the person who pays for it.

Frankly, when I order something, I don't care how much of my money goes to the vendor and how much to the shipping company, as long as I'm not suckered into spending my time deciding whether to order something by being led to believe that the cost to me will be lower than it really is!