[G4] G4 Sawtooth AGP external hard drive request

Jim Elmore jelmore at elmoredesign.com
Sat Oct 1 07:55:56 PDT 2005

On Oct 1, 2005, at 8:37 AM, <tommylaws1 at cox.net> <tommylaws1 at cox.net>
wrote:

> Newbie here:
> I recently purchased a G4 AGP Sawtooth from a friend, then upgraded
> it to Tiger. However, it only has a 20 or 25gig harddrive and, I'd
> like to be able to have a firewire or comparable, BOOTABLE,
> external harddrive for it that I can copy my present, internal hard-
> drive, including the Mac Tiger OS to.
> Several questions to all you more experienced and knowledgable
> folks out there, since I'm clueless.
> 1. Any recommendations as to a reasonably priced hard drive in the
> 250 gig range? (Smaller or larger OK too if you know of a great
> deal or other reason to go larger smaller). I'm not a techhie and
> am not doing a new version of StarWars on my computer.

I have sure enjoyed the LaCie Porche design fanless hard drives. I
have two that I use for backup. They're not really fast, so you might
look at something else by LaCie. Stay away from Iomega in my opinion.

> 2.Can my present drive be 'booted'/copied to the new drive without
> losing my present programs?  Is so, any help on how to do this
> would be appreciated.

Carbon copy cloner or something like that is necessary.

> 3. Any idea on how to go wireless with this system?  I read a
> message on this forum several weeks ago about a Belkin USB wireless
> 'receiver' that some guy said worked for him. I purchased one but
> get no indication that it is recognized. No software came with it
> and, when I asked TigerDirect.com (where I bought the Belkin USB
> receiver) if I needed software to be compatible with my Linksys
> router, they said no. Range of the Linksys wireless router does not
> appear to be the issue, since my laptop works fine in the same
> room. Could it be a WEP issue, since I'm running WEP protection and
> the Belkin doesn't 'see' a WEP proteced system?
> Anyway, any advice appreciated.

I have a Belkin PCI card in a G4 and Belkin has a driver for OS 10.3.
It does require a driver and Belkin software.

They don't have one yet for OS 10.4 so now it doesn't work.