[G4] Firefox problems.

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Tue Oct 11 20:24:24 PDT 2005

Hector,

Note that you your bookmarks are not  stored in the Firefox
Application package itself. Firefox bookmarks and preferences  are
stored in a specific and separate location from the actual
application.  This is true for almost all mac application

For Firefox 1.0.6 (what I am using)  the Path to Application is:
/Applications/Firefox

Path to Firefox's preferences and bookmarks file is:
/Users/Yourusername/Library/Application Support/Firefox/

and additional preferences file (not sure what is in there or does
specifically) here:

/Users/Yourusername/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist

In those locations are stored the specific files to run Firefox to
your preference. Things are different for you since you are running
an older version of Firefox.  The  preferences are unfortunately
located in a different location for version 0.8.

/Users/Yourusername/Library/Phoenix/

So you can see where the problem is now  and why you were getting the
appearance of losing your bookmarks when installing Firefox 1.0.7
into the Application folder.

To Fix...

1. Lauch Firefox 0.8 and export your bookmarks and save the file to
the desktop...
2. Quit firefox 0.8 and move it to the trash or some other location
other than Applications
3. Install firefox 1.0.7, launch it, and import your bookmarks file
that you saved to the desktop

Or if that does not work copy your bookmarks file manually from the
Phoenix folder above and try to import that file into firefox 1.0.7.
Note that you do not want to copy anything more from that profile
folder in the Phoenix folder. Such as Extensions, Themes, etc.  and
try to copy that to the new profile of firefox. Just get your
bookmarks file and go or else you might cause stability problems with
running firefox 1.0.7 with an old profile and configuration.

This should solve the problem, let me know if you need more help.

Sources:
Profile folder location...
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/0.8.html
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/1.0.7.html