[G4] Super_PI benchmarking

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Sun Apr 2 21:26:18 PDT 2006

Here is link to a nice multi-platform benchmarking terminal
application called Super PI. This program is cpu intensive and
calculates the time in seconds to generate some pi digits. You know
the 3.14... idea. It can extended it up about 33 million decimal
places and times your system as it calculates it. It is really
interesting and it runs on multiple platforms too including Mac OS X,
Windows, Linux, Sun, etc...

About the software

http://www.super-computing.org/

Downloads for it http://ocing3.free.fr/FTP/overclocking/super_pi/
Kanada_lab/

Some of the testing that I have done at  2097152 digits of PI:

PowerMac G4 867Mhz QuickSilver with Mac os 10.4.5 took about  225
seconds or 3 minutes  45 seconds.

Dell Inspiron with 1.6 GHz Intel Mobile Pentium 4, Windows Xp Pro Sp2
took 4 minutes 13 seconds, same laptop running Ubuntu Linux 5.10 took
3 minutes and 1 second, interesting right.

The fastest I have seen  was on a friends Dell laptop with a 2.0 GHz
Intel Pentium M, it got 1 min 20 seconds on Windows XP with the 2
million run...

Something to play around with... let me know what you other get if
you want to try this

PS Could some one try this on a G5 system...

Daniel J. Brieck Jr.