[G4] Orig. peripherals needed?

Eric Buczynski emaxxx4 at warpmail.net
Sat Apr 8 05:47:15 PDT 2006

I have a G4 Digital Audio model upgraded to a Sonnet 1.2Ghz G4
processor.  I also have a Motorola 802.11g PCI card in place of the
original Airport card.  Do I need to keep these around in case I do a
brand new installation of Tiger or the next operating system?

The reason I ask is because I had a Powermac 7300 which had a 68040
daughtercard and that was replaced by  a Sonnet 400mhz G3 chip.  It
was rare, but when installing a new system on it I'd have to take out
the G3 upgrade and put in the original daughtercard and some other
chip (that the 68040 used) to start from scratch. I know that both
the original processor and the upgraded processor in my current mac
are both G4 chips, but I don't want to sell the original processor
then realize down the line when I install a new OS that I need the
original processor first.  Has anyone encountered this problem before
or is it ok to sell the older processor and original airport card and
not worry about needing them for a later OS installation?  I could
always keep the two for troubleshooting purposes, but my Mac has been
very reliable compared to the 7300.  Thanks for the tips.

Eric