[G4] Speakers Interfering with Monitors

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Fri Aug 4 04:54:09 PDT 2006

At 06:57 -0400 8/4/06, Richard Klein wrote:
>It's the magnet in the subwoofer pulling the guns in the CRTs off track.  I don't think there's anything you can do about it except to move the subwoofer away from the monitors.  If the monitors' color doesn't then return to normal, try waving something a wand degausser across the screen.  I'm not sure where you can buy them anymore.

If you take apart a useless CRT monitor or TV set you'll find a loop of wire, usually wrapped with black tape, around the tube at the picture end. If you take it out and bend it into a circular loop you have a pretty nice degausser. It can be connected to a wall power outlet for about ten seconds before it gets too hot to hold. Put it near the picture tube. Turn it on. take ten seconds to move it away from the screen. Turn it off. Life is easier if you have access to a VARIAC to slowly turn the AC voltage down.

Actually that happens automatically each time you power up the CRT monitor. Some have a button that degausses while running.

But some others never degauss unless they are turned off once in a while. The computer's sleep mode isn't good enough to make it happen.

Does everyone know that the earth's compass field affects a CRT monitor? There is a custom that factory adjustments are made with the monitor facing east to west. If you are bothered by strange colors and straight lines that look curved try turning the monitor to point another direction.

--
-->  The best programming tool is a soldering iron <--