[G4] 3rd HD - - Tired subject, sorry...

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Aug 8 18:05:57 PDT 2006

I'll try to reply
last two times i prsssed a key and bingo
anyway.....
On Aug 8, 2006, at 8:36 PM, Slip Kid wrote:

> Me: "I'm unable to get a firm "yes/no" regarding if I can use the
> Zip IDE for an HD."
>

>> YES. I have one in my Quicksilver.
>> It's a slower buss and you have to manuever it in there, but i
>
> Thanks James.
> I wasn't able to figure out what happened to most of yer post...no
> matter.
> The above is a 'real world' experience which is tough to refute &
> it will take a scary story for me to not make the move.
> (Unless someone warns against some danger you have been lucky to
> avoid, it's 24 hours and counting...)

I have had it in there with a bootable system and much stored crap
for 3 years or more. 0% problems

> "Speed" should not matter [a ?] as I'd only use it as a vault for
> music (um, how much 'slower' is 'slower'?).

The ATAPI  buss for the optical and zip drives ( at least in
Quicksilver) is a slower buss. If I load video from there into a
Final Cut timeline it can stutter.
Music is generally ok and video plays fine in QT just not under
pressure.

> Your success does beg another quesion:
> With the 128Gig limit, I should think your route would be
> reflexive?  I realize there are IDE workarounds (for a faster IDE
> on that channel) or one could spring $'s and be able to access a
> larger disc.

I don't know about that. I had an extra 80gb disc and shoved it in
there.

> OTOH, unless one is tied to the Zip...that channel seems to be the
> best 'free' option to gain storage space beyond 2, 128's. Or, am I
> wrong and it's not clouded with caveats as I seemed to think?

Zip is dead. I am not completely familiar with your machine but I
would venture to say that caveats ( other than getting the shelf in
and out) are non-existant and frivolous.
You could bruise a finger maybe.

  On the QS i had to half remove the whole metal unit holding both
things and shove the disc in and then attach the IDE when it was
almost al the way back in. Not a long cable.
I think I put a peice of cardboard under for insulation. Otherwise
it's just jammed in there. No problemo.
Jim