[G4] Replacing video card in G4 dual 1.25 GHz tower

Gary Goodenough shormel1 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 14 10:41:57 PDT 2006

The fan is going out on the original NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 128MB
card in my G4 Dual 1.25 GHz MDD tower I am looking for a replacement
video card.

I don't use the computer for games but I do use it for large
Photoshop and Illustrator work including QTVR stitching using Apple's
QTVR Authoring Studio. When stitching very large files with Authoring
Studio I sometimes boot into OS 9.2.2

OWC offers a couple of *modified from a G5* ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 4X
AGP 64MB for a great price that will work in a G4. But going to 64MB
of video ram from 128MB seems like a step backwards. These cards will
work with 9.2.2 unaccelerated.

The other possibility is a ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 4x/8x AGP 256MB card
which will work in a G4 MDD but nobody can answer what happens when
booting into 9.2.2?

It seems like the ideal card may be a ATI 9600 128MB card but these
are not available, and I am not sure of their dual boot capability.

Can anyone help me with some information?
Thanks, Gary