[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 24, Issue 17

David d.reed at clara.net
Mon Aug 14 10:47:54 PDT 2006

Hi, I've been using a 500GB Lacie Network Mini Disk for 12 months now.

It has an embedded Linux OS running on-board which needs zero set-up
and configuration although these can be accessed if required using a
web browser.
I use it to swap files between my G4 and G5.

Only problem is that MFS/HFS/HFS+ are not recognised by Linux so if
you need those it becomes a large USB only drive.
If you go with the default format of Windows FAT32 you get the
limitations that brings (file names and limited maximum file size)

Formatting it using the native Linux format EXT3 allows me to ALMOST
treat it as a normal mountable Mac volume.
I then create a sparse disk image on it if I need a 100% HFS+
compatible Mac partition/volume.
SuperDuper and hopefully Time Machine work very well with this and
all my other software uses the remaining space.

I like the fact that I can access my files when one Mac is turned off.

David R.