[G4] G4 OS9.2.2 browser??!!???

Dave March dkmnow at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 08:49:55 PDT 2006

The Java for OS 9 hasn't been updated for years and
never will be, so any browser you use will have more
and more problems as web standards change.

The only one I found that was even marginally
tolerable was the Wamcom rebuild of Mozilla,
"wamcom-131-macos9-20030723.sit," at:
http://wamcom.org/latest-131/

It was able to render most web pages without too much
trouble, and was a good deal faster than iCab,
Netscape, and Exploiter.  If you use Gmail, be warned,
my copy of Mozilla always suffered a complete seizure
after a minute or two in Gmail.  I was never able to
resolve the issue, so I kept a copy of Exploiter just
for accessing Gmail.  That worked none too well, but
just enogh to get by.

Being on dialup, I found it expedient to run Mozilla
with NO PLUGINS, except for one QuickTime standard
(don't remember the filename, but I think it was just
part of the Wamcom installation).  95% of the Flash
out there is just ads anyway, so having no plugin for
it stops the automatic downloads and speeds up your
browsing by leaps and bounds.  For other
media/document formats, you're better off using
standalone apps anyway.

It would be nice if Apple would give up it's deathgrip
on OS 9.2.2, officially recognize it as "abandonware,"
and release the code to developers who are willing to
update it.  Just the Java would be nice - one good
update to get 9 back up to current web standards.
Somehow, I doubt that's going to happen.

:-/