[G4] Re: Backup Strategy for G4 to Ext Dive

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 11:06:35 PDT 2006

On Aug 18, 2006, at 5:32 AM, Richard Klein wrote:

> Richard M. Kriss wrote:
>> Thanks for the comments.  The combo (ATA/SATA) USB 2.0 case showed up
>> yesterday.  It was really a tight fit but my old SATA drive
>> finally made it
>> in the box.  I was shocked at sluggish speed of the USB interface.
>> Really
>> slow and almost useless. ...
>
> That's with a Belkin USB 2.0 card, right?  It sounds like you're
> only getting USB 1.1 speeds (12MB/s versus 480MB/s for USB 2.0).
> Something ain't right.  Firewire is 400MB/s, so it shouldn't be
> notably faster than USB 2.0.

SuperDuper! documents the max. through put that you're likely to see
as 12-13 MB/s regardless of the interface used.

As I said in my earlier mail, it's well documented that USB 2.0 on
Macs is significantly slower than Firewire 400. Whether it's
noticeable or not will of course vary from individual to individual
and with the task in question.

Phil