[G4] Apple Recall

Tim Collier collierof1957 at mac.com
Thu Aug 24 14:15:03 PDT 2006

The only recalls that I have seen are the ones for the 15 inch
MacBook Pro and 2 of the G4 laptops.  These are plainly posted on
Apple's Web site under the Support tab.  I have already taken care of
the MacBook Pro recall and already have the new battery.  Is this
what you are referring to?
Otherwise, I have seen no other battery recalls.  Apple, unlike a few
other companies, is quite honest and up front with any recalls.  My
wife also owns a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop and it is listed as being
one of the batteries that will spontaneously burst into flame but we
have yet to be contacted by Dell and even attempts to contact them
have gone unanswered.
Apple, unlike other companies, is up front about recalls and actually
takes the time to CONTACT purchasers of their products regarding
recalls.  We received an email from Apple in regard to the MacBook
Pro battery.
Furthermore; I previously owned a G4 iBook and it had a battery
issue.  Apple acted the same way:  they sent out an email and offered
the battery swap.  All of this 'swap' takes place in a matter of days
and I really like the way they handle the swap.  They send you the
new battery with a box with a prepaid return label and then you just
send it back.
The battery issue is not Apple's fault but rather the fault of the
supplier which I believe is Sony.  In my book, Apple is #1 in regard
to handling any recall.  I usually don't pay much attention to the
'panic-inducing' articles that float around the net in regard to
'dubious' recalls.
I have been an Apple User since 2001, when I finally dropped Windows
and PC's.  Apple is excellent in regard to any recalls and all issues
are handled in a very professional manner.
Just a bit of advice:  it's nice to browse the net for various issue
related to recalls, etc...but for actual information (read that as
TRUE information), refer to the manufacturers website.  You know that
different sites can tend to exaggerate issues.  Especially an article
posted on MSNBC, remember the MS part stands for Microsoft.  They are
quaking in their boots because of the increasing popularity of the
new Intel Macs and will probably do anything they can to shake the
beliefs of any end user.  So, take everything with a grain of salt
and when you see something like the posting that you referenced
below, check out the manufacturer's web site before going into a
state of panic.  Apple has never let me down on any issue and
repairs ALWAYS happen in a matter of days.
I'll add to this long reply by also stating the we had an issue with
the Superdrive on the MacBook Pro which would not eject a DVD.  I
brought the MacBook Pro in and they had it repaired and replaced in 2
days (of course no charge).
I'll end this by stating that I TRUST Apple, can't say that in regard
to a few other computer manufacturers.  That is why--my opinion--
Apple is #1.  So, before posting links to sites that instill panic,
check out what is being referenced and then draw your own
conclusions.  Let others do the same.  Thank you for the post, but I
do not panic when I see articles like that.

Tim

PS, I just saw a piece on our local news regarding the battery recall
and it seems as though it only apples to G4 Powerbooks and
iBooks...once again, I am certain that Apple will handle this with
the professional manner that they treat all recalls...the
correspondent was standing outside of a Local Apple Store on Miami
Beach (we have 3 Apple stores in the Miami area).  Just like in the
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, follow the advice on the cover:
Don't Panic!

NB:  Just heard that we now only have 8 official planets, Pluto has
been demoted to the status of a 'dwarf-planet'.
On Aug 24, 2006, at 1:46 PM, Wayne Wilkin wrote:

> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14500443/

> stuff:

Tim Collier