[G4] OSX questions

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Aug 28 06:07:41 PDT 2006

On 28/8/2006 7:07 PM, "SLarsonIH at aol.com" <SLarsonIH at aol.com> wrote:

> I have finally decided to dive head first into OSX. (10.3.9)

Wise move. 10.3.9 will serve you well

> How do I change my administrators password?

Easy, you should be able to do it at the Accounts section of System
Preferences, although if you have forgotten it and can't log in then at the
log-in screen type in a nonsense password 3 times, you will then be offered
the opportunity to reset the password. This does require the master password
to do it. If you never set up a master password then restart from the Mac OS
X CD while pressing down the 'C' key. On the installer screen choose
Installer->Reset password, navigate to your account and reset the password.
Close the window, click the installer and restart.

> What is 'Log Out'?

Exiting your account so that it is inactive and requires entering a password
to log into again.

> What are the advantages/disadvantages of having different accounts/users?

It enables you to let others use your computer without giving them access to
your private files, and preventing them from changing your settings etc. Yet
they can still have full access to all programs and can in turn be assured
of privacy from you. I have accounts for each of my kids for example, and it
is great that they can use the computer to play chess etc without risking
any of my work documents, or discovering settings changed. I also have a
couple of extra accounts of my own, one for testing purposes when I have a
problem and I wish to check if it is system wide or just in my account. I
also have a 'rubber room' type of account where I can use the computer but
not have all my work around me. That helps me regain some sanity sometimes
and enables me to just enjoy the Mac.

The biggest disadvantage is when lovers EXPECT to be able to use the
computer just because they have an account, and yet you need to use it too.

> When I have iChat active and the screensaver is running, people 'IM' me but I
> don't know it because the screensaver keeps running. Is there a setting I'm
> missing?

Someone else will have to answer this

> I can't find a way to have the cache empty when quitting automatically,
> either with Safari or Firefox or have a Ram Disk for the caches. Is there a
> browser
> that will do this, or a setting in either browser? Which browser do you guys
> prefer?

Don't know about automatic settings, but I would go for Firefox or Netscape
before Safari, Safari has too many troubles dealing with certain flash or
javascript files.