[G4] sleep problem after upgrade

D. Metzler List Mail dmlm at mail.sis.pitt.edu
Thu Aug 31 22:40:49 PDT 2006

Hello,
I just installed a pioneer DVD writer and PCI firevire 800 card
in a mirror door dual 1G G4, (10.2.8) and although everything seems
to be working the machine won't go to full sleep anymore (the
screen goes black but the fan and/or the HD remain on, as
do the power lights on the G4 and 17" flat pannel display.
Same thing happens whether trying sleep from the menu or letting
the energy settings do it.

Any ideas or exeriences with this?  (E.g., before I tear things apart
again and see if I can identify the cause physically I was wondering
if it might be a software issue say with the driver for the DVD RW?)

Apologies if this is a known problem...but I hadn't heard about it.

BTW, if anyone is thinking about upgrading to a faster DVD writer
like this one, you should know that the newer Pioneers have a bigger
tray than the original and will take some nasty trimming of the
support carriage and door frames to let it open ;(

Thanks for any help.

Doug Metzler