[G4] Re: AGP hard drive question

Hector I. Macedo hecmac at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 16:42:47 PST 2006

I would suspect you have a memory chip that Panther is not happy
with. Check that.

On Feb 7, 2006, at 5:52 PM, JayB wrote:

> First-
>
> Thanks to all who've offered help.  I'm truly grateful.
> A new twist to my little deal:
>
> First, for clarity; I have a AGP 500 upgraded to 1gig via Sonnet
> CPU.  I have TWO 18gig Ultra SCSI internals (and several external
> drives).
>
> One of the internal drives was a OS-X bootable drive with Photoshop
> and one other OSX ap.  The other drive is OS 9.2.x and lots of new
> and old aps and data.
>
> I decided to update the OS-X drive to 3.9.x and simply decided to
> wipe it clean, do a fresh install and re-load the PS and other ap.
> 3/4 of the way thru loading the 1st Panther Disk, it froze.  I
> forced a shutdown and tried again, same results.  I decided to do a
> more serious erase (zeros and ones).  1/8th of the way through it
> froze.  I had to do an other forced shutdown.  When I tried to boot
> the drive, it couldn't be found.  I thought it was dead.  I tried a
> couple of different CD boot up and ran TechTool.  No luck.
>
> After trying everything to resurrect this drive as last ditch
> before giving it either it's last rights or using the FLOOR tool, I
> got it to  mount  and initialize somehow.
>
> Now, I've initialized from Panther Disk Utilities (cd boot), tried
> partitioning, tried to install Jaguar, 2 dif sets of Panther (orig
> and my back up CDs), and each time, the process stops near the end
> of the first CD install.  Tech Tool, Disk First Aid, and Disk
> Warrior don't think there's anything wrong.  I also tried to
> install from another external CD.  No luck.
>
> Any guesses or other things to check?
>
> I'm sure I'll install an IDE drive later, but for now- I just
> thought I'd exhaust all possibilities.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

> stuff:

Hector I. Macedo                                          "Lord of
the Flies"
Dallas, TX 75248

"Piscaro Itaque dicet mendacium"

Then round his hook the chosen fur he winds,
And on the back a speckled feather binds;
So just the colours shine through ev'ry part,
That nature seems to live again in art.
                     John Gay
                         Rural Sports 1720