[G4] Still trying to revive the dead G4 MDD

Maj. Richard H. Blount (OHMR Ret.) majorrich at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 7 06:19:38 PST 2006

I was gifted a G4 MDD powermac a couple weeks ago. It was partially
disassembled and missing a hard drive. Despite my experience of being mostly
a PC guy, (I am a recent Mac Convert) I was able to get things back
together and even able to get it to boot to the CD-Rom or DVD (whatever this
thing has)  From repeated p-ram resets, pushing the little button thing and
doing the C-Opt O-F thing to reset the Nvram and reset defaults and even
buying a new hard-drive. (a Maxtor Calypso 80g) I believe the primary HDD
controller is kaput. The G4 rebuild disks continue to tell me the drive is
not supported on the ATA66 controller.  I was, however able to take the
drive to my older G4 450 AGP and it works just fine there. I even installed
OSX to the drive hoping to get the MDD to see it. To no avail. The @#$$
thing still just sits there still mocking me.I think I may have even heard
it laugh. Have I missed anything? Should I part it out (Would give much
satisfaction)
I just hate to give up on dual 1.25's. Much faster than my regular machine.
--
It is not enough to aim, you must hit.

Richard H. Blount
Maj. OHMR (ret.)