[G4] Applejack question

jim carbone dictator at rebargraphics.com
Wed Jan 11 13:06:53 PST 2006

Hi All,

I've been following this list for quite a while and know that Applejack
is a favorite among many users. I have it installed on my two G4s (a
dual 1.25 MDD and a Titanium 667mhz PB), and have used it several times
on both with much success.

I ran it today on my PowerBook, and it's doing something that I never
saw it do before. I started up in single user mode, ran AJ in the
Autopilot mode, and after (or possibly during) the permissions repair,
it gets to a point where it just writes line after line of a "+" then
all periods very slowly.

It did this once and I let it sit like this for hours. I don't hear any
hard drive activity, and the noisy cooling fan doesn't kick on at all.
Eventually, I rebooted the machine, let it boot into OSX (Panther),
then rebooted into Single User mode and tried again. It's now doing the
same thing. There seems to be an error code after the "Repairing
Permissions" line of malloc[186] and a description about being unable
to byteswap something it what looks like iTunes.

I can be more specific if need be, but does anyone know what's going on
here?

Thanks,
--jim