[G4] Re: OK. Now I am starting to get a little irritated. Flatliner MDD.

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Thu Jan 12 16:05:07 PST 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 4:23 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:23:10 -0500
> From: "Maj. Richard H. Blount (OHMR Ret.)" <majorrich at adelphia.net>
> Subject: [G4] OK. Now I am starting to get a little irritated.
> 	Flatliner	MDD.
> To: <g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> OK. I have installed new memory, new hard drive, different DVD (a
> 108!) and
> the $%#$&^*&^ thing still sits there with its tongue hanging out. I
> have
> tried using OS9 boot disk, OSX1.0 system disk, OSX1 for G4 system disk
> and
> the rebuild disk that I was given with the system. I've tried every
> memory
> slot, reset every conceivable kind of nvram, pram, ram charger, ram
> air,
> Dodge Ram, reset the processor, tried every memory slot with new and
> old
> memory, and get laughed at by the bloody thing. I was convinced I had
> bad
> memory, but alas get the same thing with both. So I now have a Gig of
> memory
> for this thing.
>
> When I use the plain old OsX install disk, I get the happy mac face
> and the
> beach ball (encouraging eh?) then the happy face tears in half and the
> system once again laughs in triumph.
>
> The only other thing I can think of is maybe  have the wrong system
> restore
> disks. It seems to get farther in the process with this disk. I get
> happy
> Mac, then the grey Mac OS screen, then the blue MacOS screen with the
> weird
> textured background and a moving like thermometer bar. Sometimes I get
> the stylized person holding a disk then to the part where I get to
> select a
> disk to restore to. Then either it sees no disk, or says the disk is
> not
> compatible. This occurs on all three controllers and can die at any
> point
> along the way.
>
> I was able to get it to install Ubuntu and it works on any of the three
> drive busses, but when it tries to start, the@#$#$% thing wont
> recognize the
> keyboard so wont complete the boot process. That¹s where I very calmly
> removed everything from the case, closed it, took 2 valium and sat
> here in
> front of my trusty G4 AGP 400 that actually works, and placed my heart
> out
> on my sleeve.
>
> Are there any Mac Jocks out there that live in or around Newark, Ohio
> that
> might be willing (I will buy the beer) to cast a second set of eyes at
> this
> thing? OR does anyone have the for sure correct restore disks for an
> [...]

Ask your rescue squad to show up with some OS X 10.3 Panther disks in
black color (retail version).  But seriously, why do you want to use
10.1?  That brings a whole set of issues you surely do not want.

To check out your disk set, I assume they are grey in color, since you
mention having the restore set.  Note the production or serial numbers
in fine print below "CD version (whatever).  Report them here and maybe
someone will verify whether that set came from Apple for your machine.

Check the ReadMe info or the .pdf file in the first window when opening
the first disk.  My copy indicates which machines the installer will
work on (using 10.3).

Do you have an external drive or useless partition with your AFP 400
where you could check that your CDs are in good condition?  Or access
to someone's else's machine?

Hope this gets closer to your solution.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.