[G4] how can I upgrade my G4 450mhz up to 1.0 ghz?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Mon Jan 16 01:49:42 PST 2006

On 15 January, 2006, at 11:27:30, marco santos wrote:

> I bought my g4 from an guy but he didnt give me the system disk or
> the initialization disk, whatever is the name. Anyways, how can I
> get a copy of this disk for my G4 AGP Graphics.

It's not necessary to get the installation disk for your exact
machine. If you get a new OS-X installer package, it will install the
operating system on any Mac that is capable of running that version.

I recommend getting the latest OS version as it will give you the
newest versions of the programs that will be installed and you will
not have to do a lot of updating from the Apple web site (except for
the very newest updates that are available).

I checked the MacTracker program and see that your machine is capable
of using the latest version of OS-X, but you should verify that you
have the updated firmware installed on your Mac. You should have
version 4.2.8 of the firmware installed before you attempt to install
OS-X on your G4 AGP.

If you look in the CD Extras folder on the installation disk, you
will find a folder with Firmware Updates inside. Open the read-me
file to find out how to install the updater. Be sure to follow the
instructions carefully in order to perform the update properly. Once
you have updated and rebooted, reboot to the OS-X CD and begin the
installation like you would normally. It should give you no problems
from that point on.