[G4] Graphics card upgrade to run 20" cinema?

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 13:17:35 PDT 2006

On Jul 10, 2006, at 12:34 PM, JayB wrote:

> Well, I should have tried before asking I guess. I just added the
> VGA connector and yes, it will support that monitor but there's a
> good amount of noise or "flicker" in the screen (@1680x1050).

You have to use the monitor's native refresh rate or you'll get this
effect. It is often 60 or 75 Hz, but check to be sure.

> I guess it's the Radeon 9600 for $75 and forget about OS 9?

The Radeon 9600 Pros listed at OWC/Macsales do not work in your Mac!
You're after either an 8500, 9000, or 9200. Check ATI's site for
details. You should be able to decide which card you want based on
trading off slot type, card memory, connections - DVI/ADC/VGA, and OS
9 support. Note that you can not use an ADC monitor with your
generation of Mac as it doesn't supply power to the ADC connection,
but you can hook up a DVI monitor to that connection with the right
cable or converter. ($30 at OWC.)

Note that there is a $30 rebate on the PCI Radeon 9200 that brings
the price down to $100 at OWC.

Sites like http://www.barefeats.com and http://www.xlr8yourmac.com
have reviews of these cards.

> I suppose that I'll have to replace the video card versus simply
> add it to a PCI slot? Could I keep both since the monitor switches
> easily between VGA and DVI? That way keeping my options on OS 9 a
> little longer?

You can mix AGP and PCI cards as you like. The Mac has always
supported multiple graphics cards.

You need to open your Mac or take a look at Graphic/Displays in the
System Profiler to know for sure what you have.

Phil