[G4] Back up G3/G4

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 01:04:51 PDT 2006

On Jul 20, 2006, at 10:28 PM, Tony Johansen wrote:

> Firstly thank you to Harry John and Phil. I am slowly getting a
> handle on
> this. As both my machines and Harry's all have the same build code
> I am
> assuming that all 10.3.9 is labelled 7W98 and that all computers
> made during
> the time that Panther was available will run this irrespective of
> processor.
>
> I also presume that any machine made during the time prior to
> Panther or
> subsequently (during Tiger) will not run Panther.

Sort of. Many older machines that are not officially supported by
10.3 or 10.4 will work if you use XPostFacto: http://
eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/. Just for the heck of it I
use XPostFacto to run 10.4 on a PowerMac 7500.

> It leads to the question of how can I tell from model numbers when
> a machine
> was made? Important to know if I have to buy a replacement machine
> to put
> the back up onto.

Get Mactracker (free) from http://www.mactracker.ca. There are web
sites that have all this info, but Mactracker give you just about
everything you want to know about any particular Mac in a single
program with a nice interface.

Phil