[G4] Panther or Tiger?

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Tue Mar 7 16:24:35 PST 2006

On Mar 7, 2006, at 4:54 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 05:28:46 +1100
> From: Tony Johansen <tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au>
> Subject: Re: [G4] Panther or Tiger?

> Anne, your original question regarded Tiger or Panther. Intel is
> another
> matter. Be aware that Intel will not run any OS 9 programs at all. OS
> X on a
> G4 or G5 has 'Classic' mode, not so Intel Macs. Initial reports seem to
> indicate that OS X non Intel (non 'universal') will run on Intel but
> despite
> Steve Jobs claims that they work normally, it appears they are very
> slow as
> with Windows programs in Virtual PC.

The latest Macworld magazine has a review of the Intel iMac.  The speed
hit for running non-universal applications, using Rosetta software
translation, depends on what older machine is being compared, what
older machine you are leaving behind.

Three functions tested in MP3 Encode, Photoshop Suite, and MS Word
Scroll ran in roughly one half to one third the time on the iMac
G5/2.1GHz and in about two thirds to three quarters the time in the
eMac G4/1.42GHz.  But the iMac Dual Core machines ran the tests in two
thirds to three quarters the time required in the iMac G4/700MHz, the
slowest model with the half-basketball base.

So I'm guessing that the iMac Dual Core using Rosetta for old OS X
applications is roughly equivalent to the performance of the single CPU
Quicksilver 2002 models at 800 and 933MHz.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.