[G4] Best solution for remote access

jim carbone dictator at rebargraphics.com
Wed Nov 22 07:55:59 PST 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me a pointer in the right direction,
here... I'm looking for the best way to be able to access another mac
on a remote network.

The specifics are as follows: I have a G4 Dual 1.25mhz MDD running
Tiger, and I just purchased an 867mhz G4 for an employee who will be
working from her home. She will want to connect the machine to her
existing network, and I will want to be able to access her Mac
whenever I need it. For the most part, this will be for transferring
large files, but I may have need at some point to remotely maintain
the machine as she's not familiar with Macs, and too far away for me
to travel to for minor issues.

The other thing is that I don't want to have access to her entire
network--just her Mac. We're both on broadband connections without
static IPs, if that means anything.

I'm keen to do my research, but since this is all new to me, I
wouldn't mind a helper as to where to start. Is Remote Desktop the
way to go for everything I need, or is too much? It looks a little
overwhelming (to both my head and wallet). Possibly Timbuktu? Or will
I just be able to connect directly as a server? Cost is always a
factor, but so is getting the right solution and not messing with
something kludgy.

I appreciate any info you can offer!

Thanks,
--jim