[G4] Reading DV+R discs on Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105

Carol java_j at macosx.com
Sat Oct 14 13:23:30 PDT 2006

Hi Folks,

I just received some DVDs on Fujifilm DVD+R that my MDD G4 OS 10.3.9
with the orignal Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 just spits out.  I put them in
on older Sawtooth G4 (OS 10.3.5) that has had the original optical drive
replaced with a newer DVD/CD-RW drive.  This drive accepted the discs,
but just dragging a folder from the disc to the hard drive gave an I/O
error.

I took the discs to work where I have a newer computer, a PC running
Windows XP that has a Phillips DVD+-RW drive.  No problem.

The MDD G4 has accepted other DVD+R discs, but I do not recall the brand
or the speed.  There must be some kind of incompatibility with these
particular discs.

What I am wondering is whether a newer DVD writer would solve the
problem.  The MDD has room for a 2nd optical drive.  OWC has a Pioneer
109 at a good price.  I am thinking of the DVR-109AB.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/powermac/

Since I still have 10.3, I would be limited to burning at 8x.  That is
not a problem.  I am not ready to move to Tiger yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Carol