[G4] MPEG DVD play problem

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 3 13:17:27 PDT 2006

It's not clear (to me, at least) what you mean by "an MPEG DVD" since all standard video DVD's use MPEG-2 or (occasionally) MPEG-1 for the encoding.

Since the DVD you're trying to play was burned on a DVD-R or a DVD+R disc, it is probably a problem of compatability between that disc and your player. Some of the older players will only play DVD-R (and perhaps some only play DVD+R), and even within the correct category there are often incompatibilities between particular discs and particular players.

If the Finder won't mount the disc, it is almost certainly a problem of compatibility.

The extensions should, I believe, be irrelevant if you are using Apple's DVD player. I never played a DVD under OS 9, so I'm not sure. But if you want to play an MPEG-2 file using QuickTime, you need the QuickTime MPEG2 Extension. (Not sure of its exact name in OS 9. In OS X, it's "QuickTimeMPEG2.component".)

 - Aaron