[G4] Re: Carbon Copy Cloner

S. Kennedy skenn at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 5 07:20:04 PDT 2006

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 08:03:07 -0500, Richard M. Kriss wrote:
> The only issue with CCC is it does not support incremental backup and takes
> a long time to clone anything.

I think CCC is an excellent program but it isn't the only one out there for making  clones of a main hard drive.

Some have had problems but I have been using RsyncX for several years to clone my main HD and then make incremental back ups with no problems.  My back up drive is in an external firewire case.  I have also used the same drive to backup my Powerbook to a separate partition.  Over the years I have accumulated a lot of files on my back up that have been erased from my main drive and have made no effort to clean this  up.  I expect that soon I will retire my present back up drive and start over with a clean slate.  In addition to the clone back ups I also back up essential documents to DVD RAM disks that can be kept off site.

Fortunately, the only time so far since 1986 that I have had to resort to a back up was an incident where I accidently deleted an email account including all messages, but that was entirely my fault.

S. Kennedy