[G4] Target Disk Mode ?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Sep 19 12:17:22 PDT 2006

On 19 September, 2006, at 10:53:36, Doug McNutt wrote:

> At 10:42 -0700 9/19/06, Harry Freeman wrote:
>> This is because most modern platforms have an ethernet port that
>> detects if the other end is DTE or DTC and makes an adjustment to
>> be what is necessary.
>
> Does anyone know how a logical collision is prevented when two
> machines connected as such are turned on at the same time?

Have done coincidental startups many times. Both machines boot to
their respective drives unless one has the "T" key held down during
bootup, then THAT machine goes into Target Mode and shows up on the
other machines' monitor as a second drive.

The key to sharing files between machines is to activate "sharing"
with the control panel/system preference and allow the machines to
share files and programs between themselves. Just be sure that the
machines do not have the same identity, ie: "Ron's G4" and "Ron's
Other G4" will work but "Ron's G4" and "Ron's G4" won't.

I usually name my machines according to their location: Home G4,
Laptop, and WorkStation 1 or 2. That way, I never get them confused.