[G4] Wear on Extra HD

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 12:44:34 PDT 2007

Presumably, you are using a PCI card to connect to
your drives (AGP = 128Gb limit)?

I was using a similar system except I had four SCSI
drives in two pairs of RAID0 arrays (via a ATTO UL3D
PCI-X card). They appeared as two 36GB volumes on my
desktop and used CCC to periodically clone them.

This proved useful recently when one of the disks
crashed. I was able to boot from the install CD and
swap startup disk. Didn't loose much.

But a little investigation showed that the failed disk
was the one on the bottom of the dual stacked bracket.

Presumably, it was not getting enough cooling. Has
anybody else seen this?

Anyway I have pulled the bad one and created a single
51Gb RAID 0 stripe from the remaining three drives.

Now I Clone a backup to a firewire 80Gb portable drive
that I have, but it seems slower...

Does anybody have any idea how the speeds compare
between:

SCSI U160
ATA66
SATA 1
Firewire 400
Firewire 800

They are all specced in different ways....

Needless to say Carbon Copy Cloner got a donation from
me!

John