[G4] iMovie 08 does not support G4s

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 18:18:02 PDT 2007

You can hack Aperture to install on Power Mac G4s.  I don't remember
exactly how I did it, but I installed it on my 933MHz Quicksilver.  I
think I edited a .jpref file or something.  It's more or less
JavaScript, and you can see what it's checking for.  It checks to see
if the Mac's Intel or not.  If not, it checks if it's a G5.  If not a
G5, then it checks to see if it's a laptop.  If it's not a laptop,
then it fails.  If it detects an Intel Mac it doesn't check the speed,
but after every other test it checks to see if the clock speed meets a
minimum.  I think I commented out the check for the laptop and changed
the minimum speed it was checking for.

Google for Aperture G4 hack or crack.  That's how I found out about
it.  It's not about getting Aperture for free; it's just about getting
it to install on hardware that doesn't meet the system requirements.
This page should get you started:
http://minimal.cx/2007/08/10/aperture-154-hack/

I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar hack turn up eventually for
iMovie 08 that'll let us install it on our G4s.  Whether or not it'll
run acceptably fast is another story.

--
Rich