[G4] Upgrade to USB 2.0

nagable at comcast.net nagable at comcast.net
Fri Aug 17 12:08:17 PDT 2007

Old!  I'd like to tell you about old, but that's off-topic.  I just today ordered from OWC <http://www.macsales.com> a Sonnet Tango Express PCI card, 3 USB2 and 2 FireWire400 ports.  $93.50 delivered.  It's a bit pricy, but I wanted to add USB2 capabilities to my Quicksilver 2000.  I had a cheapie combo card in that slot that had 3 slots on the card and and 3 external ports (that never worked) with 2 FireWire 400 ports (that did work).  It's about a year old. My computer began freezing after about 15 minutes.  System Profiler would quit out when I asked for FireWire info.  I pulled the card and I've been up for about 4 hours.

I like Sonnet products.  I've used their processor upgrades in every Mac I've owned (starting with a 6100) and got good tech support from them when needed.  Now I'm running a dual 1.8 GHz in the Quicksilver.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Nate