[G4] iTunes resource hog! Found a solution

A2L1 mr.a2l1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 22:49:36 PDT 2007

Hi all,I am going to post this in another mac group also so please no
offense or protocol infractions intended, just want to try and help.
I have a mini and have maxed out the ram therefore I cannot do anything more
to increase the memory in my computer. I did notice that whenever I was
using iTunes there was a pretty significant "drag" on the system after some
time and it turns out that iTunes was using well over 400 megs of ram,
sometimes way more.
I tried shutting off all the options in iTunes but that didnt help much. I
didnt want to just dump it because I needed it to handle my iPod. Well after
some searching I did find a nifty little app that plays the music just fine
and is very very miserly on the ram use. It has yet to exceed 20 megs usage
and it plays everything just fine. No album covers or video,etc though.
I did alot of searching and although I did find a few other options they
were almost as bad as iTunes as far as the ram use.
Here is the link for those that are interested its called whamb :

http://freshmeat.net/projects/whamb/

I have nothing to do with this software and am not associated in any way I
just wanted to pass on the information so that anyone else who has  a
"limited" amount of ram can listen to their music without bringing their mac
to a crawl.
I did find that as far as the playlists go the easiest thing for me was to
load iTunes and then open each list individually and copy the contents to a
file folder. I then named the folder the same as the playlist. This worked
well as the whamb player wont read the iTunes lists and you have to have new
ones. So without altering the original iTunes lists I had the contents in a
new folder and just named it . This worked well and now all my playlists are
available to the wamb player and the iTunes remains intact. I moved the
iTunes library to an external drive and all is well.
I can still sync the iPod but when I want to listen to tunes and work on the
mini I dont have any waiting or notice any drag on the system at all.
Hope this is of help to someone.

A J
--
mr.a2l1ATgmailDOTcom