[G4] Browsers (need for partitioning)

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Feb 10 18:14:38 PST 2007

On 10 Feb, 2007, at 8:46 AM, Margaret Krakowiak wrote:

> Right now on my new internal drive I put OS9 and X on different
> partitions,
> and was planning to use that  OS9 system for Classic apps. Are you
> saying
> that's not good to do, and that 9 for Classic designation should be
> on the same
> partition as X, and I should do another OS9 install on the X
> partition?

A lot of what you are asking will depend on the machine you are using.

If your machine is capable of booting to OS-9, then it is not
required that you have a separate partition for that OS. You can
simply do a "Clean Install" of OS-9 in the same partition and
designate it as your Classic environment when you access the Classic
preference of OS-X.

With this arrangement, you will have the option of booting to either
OS by holding the Option key down during startup. You can then choose
which OS to boot to.

If, however, your machine is NOT capable of booting to OS-9, you
should use the included CD/DVD to install the Classic environment for
that machine. It will be a suitable version according to the model
machine you have. This OS will be placed in the same partition as the
OS-X version, so you still do not need to partition just for the sake
of installing the OS-9.

Either way, there is no longer a need to partition your drive simply
to install the Classic environment.