[G4] Internal Hard Drive compatibility for AGP

JayB FromJay at joimail.com
Wed Jan 3 19:39:04 PST 2007

Well of course it just blows me away how helpful you guys are.  I've
posed maybe 4 questions here over the last year and gotten solid,
considered advice.  Thanks.

The reason I want to replace one of the drives (maybe both if cheap
enough without losing speed) is, I think one may be about to crater.
I'm running OS 9 on one and Panther on the other.  I've seen some
unexplained slowing of the performance (although it's only at 1/2
capacity) and a few times when running under the Panther drive, the
OS 9 drive failed to show up on the desktop.  I've run disk utility
and Tech Tool Deluxe.  I'll be dropping the OS 9 soon, but I like
having the ability to go back to old software that I don't think I
can upgrade or export (I've been running my photo biz on Macs since
''87).

So, I was thinking I should just spend $50 and replace the suspect
drive (or both).  I just didn't think I could simply order any old
IDE drive from Dealmac and plug and play.  Will I need to buy a
different ribbon for that option?

~And more importantly (I use this machine for retouching on Photoshop
CS), is there going to be a drop in performance moving from the 7200
SCSI drive to an IDE?  Perhaps this is a basic question, but I'm not
familiar with either the terminology or differences in drives and
controllers.

Thanks again,

~Jay