[G4] MP3 Drivers?

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Sat Jan 13 07:05:36 PST 2007

Tony Johansen wrote:
> On 13/1/2007 11:02 AM, "Dan A Currie" <dancurr at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>

>     My daughter was given a FAST TRAX MP3 player for Christmas.  My G4
>     will turn it on but I do not seem to be able to get beyond the
>     "waiting " symbol on it.
>
>     Does anyone know anything more about this annoying little USB device
>     ... ?
>

>     If you do get past this stage you will likely find other problems
>     anyway. Although I see lots of claims in forums that mp3 players are
>     all just as good as iPods and that iPod success is due to marketing
>     on the part of Apple, most of us have discovered that the iPod is
>     actually the one mp3 player that is easy to use and relatively
>     hassle free. THAT is the real reason that so many of them have been
>     sold.
>
>     I have to agree with the other comment, get an iPod. And if you
>     don’t have one of your own, think about it. The little devices
>     transform your relationship with music, photos, podcasts, audiobooks
>     etc. A big enough one is also great for transferring files from
>     computer to computer.
>
>     Get an iPod, your daughter will love you for it.

That's silly, and not very helpful to Dan.  My Archos Jukebox presents
itself to the computer as a simple external drive, so moving music back
and forth is simple drag-and-drop.  The only problem is when trying to
create playlists on the Mac; the Mac adds an extraneous
"/Volumes/Untitled" to the path that the MP3 player doesn't understand,
so I have to go into a text editor and delete all the instances of
"/Volumes/Untitled".

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about FAST TRAX players.  Dan, have
you tried it on any other computers?  It may simply be defective, and
you should return it for an exchange or refund.

--
Rich