[G4] Re: Super Duper Cloning software

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Wed Jan 17 02:23:14 PST 2007

Ronald Steinke wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2007, at 21:11, Marla wrote:
>
>> That all sounds fabulous, but my OS isn't compatible!
>> it needs 10.3.9 or later, and I still have 10.2.8.
>>
>> So do I have to upgrade my firmware on the old wonky
>> drive and then upgrade to Tiger and THEN download
>> Super Duper? It has been recommended to me that I NOT
>> upgrade my firmware on th eold drive...

> Simple solution:
>
> Remove old drive - Install new drive - Install OS-9 - Perform firmware
> upgrade on new drive - Reinstall old drive as Slave - Use
> CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to copy old drive data except for OS to
> new drive - Shut down Mac - Remove old drive - Restart Mac - Install new
> OS on new drive.

Well, maybe not so simple for us literalists... ;-)
The words you SAY are simple enough, but...

Let's say the petitioner has a full set of OS 9.X discs, and does an
installation on the newly installed HD.

According to one of my sources, Mac 'Firmware' is: "Any program that
powers the computer before the OS is loaded is considered firmware."
That means the firmware is already in the Mac's CPU somewhere, and it's
THAT that is being upgraded, not the hard drive.
You said, "Perform firmware upgrade on new drive." Just a point of
clarification... It's not ON the new HD, it's USING the new drive.

Second clarification needed is, when you say "...copy old drive data
except for OS..." The OS, in this case 10.2.8, is one huge chunk of data.
What part of the previous HD data do you call "[the] OS?"

In other words, how do I "leave the OS behind?" Does CCC ask you, "Do
you want the OS copied too?"
Copy everything over except what? The System folder itself? Will that do
it?
Perhaps it will. You tell me.

And do you use Finder to do the copying, or what? Click and drag from
the old hard drive?

I don't use CCC, so maybe all I'm asking here is most obvious when the
CCC user gets started, but, maybe not either!

The reason I'm butting in here is, 'teachers' many times assume the
student knows exactly what they mean. I'm suggesting that's not true at
all.

keith whaley