[G4] Re: Super Duper Cloning software/Stuck-time for decisions

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Wed Jan 17 12:08:54 PST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 11:49 AM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 07:55:54 -0800 (PST)
> From: Marla <mitchnickpictures at yahoo.com>
>
> Though I am sorely tempted to just say what the f---,
> let's just upgrade the firmware on the old drive, it's
> behaved beautifully since Disk Warrior did its thing,
> I think installing the new drive first sounds good to
> me. But can I get a free download of OS9? I don't have
> it on a disk - so how do I "fit a new drive, and
> install OS 9" if my old drive is temporarily out of
> the picture?
>
> Also, I am not sure it's true about firmware  having
> to go from OS 9 only, because I remember looking up
> which upgrade to do and there was one for my specific
> phase of OS/firmware, which is  OS version of 10.2.8,
> and firmware/Boot Rom is 3.1f1...

Marla:

Now it is clear to me that you already have OS 10.2.8 running on your
machine.  This means that someone already installed the firmware
update.  You do not need another firmware update, nor will the machine
accept what it already has.  If you attempt it, the installer will not
do it.

Please review the comments in my earlier post, quoting here:

QUOTE
If you are already running 10.2.8, you do not need to get the firmware
update.  You already have it.  See this lowendmac page for info about
your dual 450.  That Mac is in the Gigabit Ethernet family.
http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g4mp.html

Then see this Apple page, and if you need the firmware update, follow
the appropriate link.
UNQUOTE

Going further, here is the link from the above to the Firmware Update
4.2.8 for your Gigabit Ethernet machine:

Note the text near the bottom of the page which covers all your options
if you want to give it a try.  No harm will be done, and you may feel
better for attempting it.  That text is:

"Note: If a message says your firmware is up-to-date with version 4.2.8
of the Power Mac G4 Firmware Update, or that this version of the Power
Mac G4 Firmware Updater will not run on this computer, then you do not
need this update. If a message says you need to install Mac OS 9.1 or
later, the Firmware Updater will not run until you do so.
There is nothing about installing a new hard drive, nor installing the
OS anew, that requires another firmware update that does not exist."

So the discussion about needing OS 9.1 may well be moot.

> Hmm. Then there is the question of which drive to get.
> What do you guys think of this one:
>
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 Ultra ATA/100 120-GB Hard
> Drive model #ST3120213A

I have an old Seagate Barracuda 7200 40GB as my main drive and the
original IBM is relegated to backup only.  I'm very happy with this.

> Is my machine even capable of utilizing the 7200rpm
> speed?

Yes.

> Oh, I just had a worry maybe that drive is
> only formatted for PCs, not macs...

Use Disk Utility to format (erase) the new drive.  Go for HFS+, or
whatever lingo indicates "extended."

Al Poulin