[G4] (no subject) How to use multiple drives.

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 11:35:21 PST 2007

Hummmm....

What is a "slave" drive? You do have a master and
slave on the ide bus but I believe both are treated
the same by the OS.

I get the impression that OSX really only wants to
operate from one drive (Volume). So I guess You can
treat a second drive as a "backup" drive, but since it
shares the same interface/power supply, it's not the
safest.

I tried to use two drives, one with my home
directories, and one with the rest of the OS and apps.
This seemed like a great idea since it's obvious what
needs to be backed-up, and what could be rebuilt if a
disk failed. However there were lots of problems, I
can't remember all the details, things just didn't
work right.

So I think one drive is best for OSX: buy a PCI
adapter (no 128Gb limit) and use the biggest you think
you need, use firewire for backup.

I'm hoping I'll be proved wrong though (I have 4 x
18Gb SCSI drives in my work G4).

John