[G4] A fond hello

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Fri Jun 15 14:54:16 PDT 2007

Hello Stuart and everyone,

One disappointment I had with the system was a lack of sound input - the
"digital audio" G4 has output only. I also happened to have an Ensoniq
PCI sound card available. Upon installing Linux, I found that, at least
with Fedora Core 6, the Mac sound was not fully supported. I tried the
PC soundcard, and it works beautifully. I do not know of a Mac OS X
driver for it, so that makes Linux ultimately useful if getting
sound-input, though of course there are other ways to achieve this. I'm
simply poor and like to work with what I have.

As far as I know, there are few or no working open source CD and DVD
burning applications for Mac OS X. Two that I like in Fedora are Brasero
and Gnome Baker.

Aside from these, I don't know of many particular apps that exist for
PPC Linux that are not available for Darwin and OS X. I do like the
included Add/Remove Programs function of Fedora Linux, however, as it
has a huge selection of free apps, and one can add more by adding
repositories, such as Livna RPM and freshrpms.net. The main difference
with those repos is they offer "non-free" items such as MPEG and MP3
codecs, and programs such as VLC (VideoLAN Client).

As for speed, I feel that Linux is a more efficient OS. I believe that
OS X, like Windows Vista (though to a lesser extent) tends to be
bloated. I didn't run the system with OS X very much, so a proper speed
comparison is difficult. I would need to install it again and purposely
compare tasks.

One app I enjoy using on Linux is AlephOne, a modern Marathon game
engine. http://source.bungie.org in case a link is needed. I've had to
compile it by hand, but the dependencies (such as SDL and LUA scripting)
are available through Add/Remove.

There are plenty of Linux disadvantages, of course. The only Mac games I
can run are what will run in Basilisk II, and getting that emulator
required the use of freshrpms.net. MoL (Mac-on-Linux) isn't included in
any Fedora repository, and I can't get the source from the web site to
compile. I'm not a programmer, and can't assess what's wrong with it.
Issues with the system being in constant development and with so many of
the applications in a like state means that using this system feels like
a big beta test that never ends. I can't subscribe to iTunes podcast
feeds. There's no flash in the web browsers, aside from "Gnash," which
attempts to fill those shoes. I find it slow and not very compatible.

So... If you use your G4 because it's a lot nicer than Windows, Mac OS
remains the best option. I use Linux on here, aside from the
aforementioned hardware issues, because I fancy myself a geek. I also
love the PowerPC - it remains a far superior architecture to Intel's,
even if Intel's making chips that outperform PPC. I feel that Macintosh
and IBM CPUs belong together - alternative choice!

End of rant.

Eric