[G4] Tiger upgrade

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat May 5 14:42:49 PDT 2007

On 5 May, 2007, at 2:16 PM, lriv2264 at aim.com wrote:

> I have a G4 that I'm trying to upgrade to OS X Tiger. I have two
> new SATA drives connected to a PCI SATA host adapter. I install
> Tiger to one of the drives and everything seems to install fine.
> When the machine restarts however, the installer starts again and I
> can't eject the dvd from the drive. To remove the dvd, I
> reconnected the old hard drive ( with os x 10.3 on it ) and removed
> it. I then went to the startup disk in system preferences and tried
> to start the machine with the new os x. But on restart, all I get
> is a folder that blinks with a picture of the finder in it. Please
> help me boot into my new os ! Thanks.

I think that the main problem you are having is that the PCI SATA
card is not being recognized early enough during the bootup process
for the card controller software to be activated. This causes your
Mac to try to boot to the first available AND active system folder
that it can find and that is the installer disk.

To avoid having the installer disk as the bootup device, you should
hold down the mouse button to eject the disk during bootup. When it
is not available any longer, the Mac will be forced to look elsewhere
for an active system folder. You may find that the Mac won't
recognize the installed system folder on the SATA drive for quite a
while, so you should be patient and wait for more developments as it
boots. I cannot tell you that the SATA drive will be recognized or
not because I have no experience with your type of configuration
(SATA card installed in older Mac).

To overcome this case of "not yet active status" for the card, you
will have to get directions from someone who has more knowledge than
I have. I hope that this advice will give you some help in
understanding one part of the problem of adding cards and drives to
machines that were not designed with those additions in mind.