[G4] Slow Response on G4 933 MHz

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Wed May 16 09:26:06 PDT 2007

Greetings ( + )!( + )

Preston, I assume that you are running either 10.3.x or 10.4.x, which
drive and what size is the partition that the OS X installed.

If it is your 60 Gig drive and you only have 10 gig how much is being
allocated to swap space?
OS X can only use the drive/partition on which it is installed for swap
space unless you have made some changes to some of the start-up inits.

I was having the same problem when I had my 120 Gig drive partitioned
into 4 drives of approximately 30 Gigs each. So I change the swap drive
from my default start-up drive to another drive.

I've since removed the partitions and don't need to change the swap
space drive.

If you want to change your swap space drive, do a search engine search
for "mac os x swap space" or goto http://www.macosxhints.com/ and
you'll find all of the information that you could ever want.

Have a look at
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?
story=20040716153639236&query=swap%2Bspace

On May 16, 2007, at 9:02 AM, Preston Peek wrote:

> My G4 has been running very slowly, especially with applications like
> Photoshop Elements (in which I perform very simple operations), which I
> usually operate with Entourage, Safari and maybe another program open.
> have 512 RAM, 10 Gig available on a 60 Gig HD, also a 2nd internal 60
> gig
> drive. My question: are there any basic operations I can perform
> (clearing
> cache, etc.) that might speed things up? If yes, how? I know that
> upgrading
> RAM is the way to go, but want to make sure there aren't other issues
> here
> (perhaps lots of extraneous s/w clogging things up).
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Preston

Cheers, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
Congress!
Men's restroom House of Representatives,
Washington, DC