[G4] Hard drive installation problem

Kenneth Smith kdorpat at suddenlink.net
Tue Nov 27 04:50:51 PST 2007

Ok Ron, Rich, Tom, Harry, S. Kennedy, Kathi, and Dan (I hope I didn't
leave anybody out), give yourselves a tentative pat on the back;  I
think I have resolved my problem.  I hope this post reveals something
new and interesting to someone among you.  My problem appears to have
been a formatting issue.  You may recall that I had two 180 GB IBM
hard drives that came on my, mirrored door, 1.42 gh computer, and one
drive had OS X on it.  The two drives were in the rear mounting
tray.  I installed a new 750 GB Seagate Barracuda, Serial ATA hard
drive, in the lower front tray.  I installed OS X on the new drive
and formatted both the IBM drives.  I made one IBM drive a backup and
the other a place for media storage. The problem I presented to you
guys was that both the old drives were now showing that they were
about 72 % full, when they were supposed to be formatted and
"empty."  Due to my limited technical knowledge, I thought one erase
by the OS X disk utility erased the drive.  After I looked farther
and discovered the options for more thorough erasing, I picked the "7-
pass" option and now both disks appear to be showing the accurate
capacity and functioning normally.

Thanks to all of your information and suggestions, and the research
that I did as a result, I had a major learning experience.  I learned
that the technology of my mirrored door G4 represented a significant
technical plug-and-play milestone by Apple toward rendering
insignificant the master/slave jumper settings.  I also learned that
the new serial ATA drives were manufactured to accommodate the new
plug and play technology.  There seems to be a consensus of
information that connections for drives mounted in the front tray
make the G4 operate a little slower than the rear tray connections.
Mine now seems a little slower.  My new question is this:  If I move
the 750 GB Seagate, with the OS on it, from the front to the rear
tray, and move one of the rear IBM drives in the rear tray to the
front,  will my computer still recognize the Seagate as my startup
disk, and boot up, or will there just be a smoky hole in the ground
where my computer was?