[G4] Booting MDD G4 to OS 9.2.2 from OSX 3.9

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Oct 4 01:29:49 PDT 2007

On 3 Oct, 2007, at 6:22, Harlow, Virginia (V.L.) wrote:

> I was able to toggle between the two operating systems at start up
> with no problem.  Then, one day, at start up when I selected the
> drive with OS9, the computer hangs-up and never boots from that
> disc.  If I restart and select the drive with OSX, no problem.

It sounds as though you had done everything correctly, so there is no
reason not to do it again.

I would venture a guess that something happened to the OS-9 drive to
cause this problem. Either the OS software became corrupt and became
unable to complete a startup or the drive itself developed a
mechanical problem.

The easiest way to determine which condition caused the problem is to
attempt to do a "Clean Install" of OS-9 on the drive. You should use
the same installation CD that you used before and start the
installation as normal except that you should check each of the
option buttons to find the "Clean Install" function. Once you find
that option, select it and then continue with the installation
procedure as you did previously.

This will give you a valid operating system on the drive that you can
boot to. You should be able to locate your original System Folder
with the new name of "Previous System Folder" in the contents of the
hard drive. Once you have verified that the new system is working
properly, you can delete the Previous System Folder safely. Of
course, you will have to consider reinstalling any third party
software that you had in the old system onto the new one.

If the installation CD does not find the drive you want to do the
"Clean Install" onto, then you probably have a dead drive and will
need to replace it and do all your installations over again onto a
new drive.

At least, you will have learned how to do a minor trouble-shoot
procedure. At most, you will have a new drive to play with.