[G4] Re: Start up Chime

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Mon Oct 8 05:07:47 PDT 2007

Eric Wood wrote:
> If RAM is at issue, it could be as simple as reseating the existing RAM
> modules. Either way, if there happens to be more than one in the
> machine, it would be prudent to pop one out at a time and see if that
> changes whether the machine boots. It's not likely that more than one is
> bad.
>
> Eric

I did that the other day, Put three of the new 512 MB ram sticks in and
rebooted. Machine ran great, but no chime.
Yesterday I pulled and reseated all RAM sticks, as well as adding the
4th stick for a total of 2.0 GB.
Still no chime, but System Profiler and Tech Tool Pro 4 all recognize the RAM
chips and identified them correctly.
So...the new RAM apparently works just fine, but the chime doesn't.

> On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 20:54 -0400, Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net wrote:
>> On 7 Oct 2007 10:53:22 -0700, Harry Freeman wrote:
>>
>>> On Oct 7, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net wrote:
>>>
>>>  > On 06 Oct 2007 13:20:49 -0700, keith_w wrote:
>>>  >

What's a mobo?

>>> As best that I know the start-up chime comes after of the memory
>>> has been checked and passed.

>> Ah...yeah. That's what "self-test" includes. But if it doesn't chime,
>> it hasn't past the self-test. So there's no way of knowing if the RAM
>> is bad or good, i.e., it's a dead parrot, deceased, no longer living.
>> Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. ;-)

I don't think so.
This morning I fired up Tech Tool Pro 4, and ran all the diagnostic checks,
which included a repair cycle if needed.
Literally all the tests, including the RAM, checked out just fine.

Something else is amiss, I just don't know what yet...

Thanks for the advice.   keith whaley