[G4] MDD L2, L3 cache switch off at startup. Does it matter?

dkmnow dkmnow at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 08:58:20 PDT 2007

--- Charles Schneider <schneidr at umich.edu> wrote:

> Do you mean the hardware section of System Profiler
> instead of system
> preferences?
>
> I have the same machine, here is my hardware section
> of system
> profiler.  Firmware is 'Boot ROM Version'
>
> Hardware Overview:
>
>    Machine Name:	Power Mac G4
>    Machine Model:	PowerMac3,6
>    CPU Type:	PowerPC G4  (2.1)
>    Number Of CPUs:	2
>    CPU Speed:	867 MHz
>    L2 Cache (per CPU):	256 KB
>    L3 Cache (per CPU):	1 MB
>    Memory:	1.5 GB
>    Bus Speed:	133 MHz
>    Boot ROM Version:	4.4.8f2
>
> Do you have any processor upgrades?  How did you
> switch them to their
> normal settings?
>

> charlie

Okay.  My Boot ROM reads the same, and from what I
could gather from Apple, that appears to be the latest
version.

The only place I know of where you can select either
the default values (from the specifications) for L2
and L3, or to "none," is in the Hardware section of
the System Preferences.  But as I said, whenever I
have tried to set them to "256KB" and "1MB,"
respectively, they simply reset to "none" at the next
bootup.

I have no idea why, but I'm under the impression that
this is not supposed to happen.

Dave