[G4] Installing OS 9.2.2 on Mirror Door - Second HD

Ben Smith ben.smith at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 20 15:09:26 PDT 2007

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:34:10 -0700
> From: jonny <g4 at salemoregon.com>
> Subject: [G4] Installing OS 9.2.2 on Mirror Door - Second HD
> To: g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
>
> Hello LIST.
>
> I want to put OS 9.2.2 on a second internal hard drive on my 1.25 GHz dual MDD.
>
> I have the MDD's original 'Software Restore' disks.
>
> The goal is to be able to boot to the second drive in 9.2 and use my
> legacy software from there.  I had it set up like this before
> migrating to this machine from a G4 - 450.  I now know that the
> version of 9.2 from the G4 450 machine is not compatible with the MDD.
>
> Here is where I am in the process:
>
> * Second HD is formatted and has contents of G4 450 on it.
> * OLD System 9.2 Folder from the G4 450 is Backed Up & set aside.
>
> I have attempted to install 9.2.2 from the MDD's 'Software Restore'
> disks, to the second HD.  It was not allowed.  The message appeared
> to be that I need to install OSX on that drive first, boot to it,
> THEN install OS 9.2.2.
>
> Before I plunge into this, is anyone with MDD experience able to
> confim the procedure of getting OS 9.2.2 properly installed on that
> drive, and perhaps alert me to pitfalls that might be encountered?
>
> Thank you for your continued assistance.
>
> Jonny
>

> ------------------------------
Jonny
I have a MDD and have had similar problems with 9.2.2, As far as I am
aware the easiest way is to use the restore disks to install 9.2.2 on
the boot drive (the one that already has X on it) and then copy it over
to your second drive (as the disks are expecting you to be installing it
as "Classic Support"), however if you are running 10.4 then you will
need the updated restore utility from Apple, see:
for the updated utility.
don't bother trying to use retail 9.2.2 disks as they don't work with
the MDD (there are several files that the MDD requires that post-date
the release of 9.2.2 and are only included on the cd's supplied with the
machine).
The only pitfall I can see is that you may need to re bless the system
folder after copying it over, however I found it worked OK on mine and I
can boot either 10.4.10 / 10.5(Beta) / 9.2.2.
Ben.